GMS: v.112 – Renegades: Phantom Update Notes
This is awfully early. But I love it! Alright, let’s fly through this everyone. So obviously, this patch is pretty much the arrival of Phantom. You’re going to want to read it all for those who still want some insight on Phantom. Goodness, I have been waiting for Phantom, for so long. And finally, he’s coming. By the way, yeah, it’s on the 9th of June everyone. ;3; -fanboy scream-
New Playable Character: Phantom
Hundreds of years ago, Phantom gained fame and fortune by stealing precious treasures from the wealthy. He intentionally left clues at every crime scene so all of his targets would know it was he, the master thief, who had made off with their valuables. Though many tried, no one ever learned his true identity, and many began to believe he was something more than human. He was dubbed “Phantom” by the people.
When attempting to steal the Skaia, a precious jewel rumored to be connected to the power of Empress Aria of Ereve, Phantom ended up falling hopelessly in love with the Empress. The two developed a burgeoning friendship that became more romantic by the day. Instead of attempting to steal the Skaia again, Phantom decided to simply ask Aria for it. Although she found this amusing, she always declined.
Before their romance could deepen, Aria was tricked and killed by an envoy of the Black Mage led by the sinister General Orchid. Devastated by Aria’s death, Phantom offered his help to Freud the Dragon Master, and joined forces with a group of heroes to strike back at the Black Mage. The Five Legendary Heroes were eventually able to defeat the Black Mage and seal him away. Phantom had played his part in protecting the world that Aria had once believed in.
But his victory was not without great sacrifice. After destroying the Black Mage, Phantom was encased in magical ice for hundreds of years. Eventually, the magic weakened, and Phantom broke free. After hearing rumors that Hilla was the rightful owner of Skaia and heir to the throne, Phantom rushed to Ereve. He stunned the onlookers by proving that Empress Cygnus was the rightful Heir to Empress Aria’s throne and Hilla had deceived them all. Hilla had no choice but to flee, and Phantom has since returned to his personal airship, the Lumiere, to build his strength in preparation for the fight against forces that seek to revive the Black Mage and plunge the world into another age of terror and chaos.
EQUIPMENT TYPE: Thief
MAIN WEAPON: Cane – new one-handed weapon type
SUB EQUIP: Card – new equipment type, unique to Phantom
ATTACK DISTANCE: Melee
PRIMARY STAT: LUK (Luck) – needed for damage and for equips
SECONDARY STAT: DEX (Dexterity) – some is needed for equips
- Play style: Phantom’s skills grant him high mobility, fast attacks, a high dodge chance, and a high rate of critical damage.
- He is the fourth of the legendary five heroes to be released, following Aran, Evan (successor to one of the heroes), and Mercedes.
- Although we refer to Phantom with masculine pronouns outside of the game, you will have the option to play as a male or female version of Phantom in game.
- Phantom will receive a cane and a card after the tutorial. Phantom skills cannot be used unless both are equipped at the same time.
- NPC Serge aboard the Lumiere sells canes up through Lv.25, and he sells cards up through Lv.120.
- In addition to an equipment NPC, the Lumiere also has a general store NPC and a storage NPC.
- Phantom can get a car mount for 10,000,000 mesos starting at Lv.100. This mount can be upgraded at Lv.200.
- Phantom can use the Skill Swipe to steal the skill of another Explorer character. Not all skills can be stolen.
- Stolen skills can be used with Phantom’s Impeccable Memory skills. A new level of Impeccable Memory skill is unlocked with each job advancement, allowing Phantom to steal skills from higher job tiers.
- The Skill Management UI can be used to manage which of the stolen skills will be bound to the Impeccable Memory skill.
- The Skill Management UI can be opened with the skill called Loadout.
- Double-click or right-click on the skill icon to select which stolen skill will be bound to Impeccable Memory.
- A card deck appears on the right side of the screen once Phantom goes through the 2nd job advancement.
- After SP have been added to the Carte Blanc skill, the card count will increase at a set rate when Phantom’s attack deals critical damage.
- Once the card deck is full, Phantom can use the Judgment Draw skill, which deals an additional card attack and give Phantom a random buff that is drawn from the card deck.
Like most characters, Phantom can obtain the Hero’s Echo skill in his beginner skills tab, “Miser Mastery” through a quest at Lv.200.
- Hero’s Echo: Weapon/Magic ATT +4%, Duration: 40 min, Cooldown: 2 hrs. Automatically at Master Level.
Unique Beginner Skills
- To The Skies: Returns you to the Lumiere. Automatically at Master Level.
- Phantom Instict: Passive buff. Critical Rate +10%. Linkable skill that can be shared with one character you have in the same world on the same account. Automatically at Master Level.
- Shroud Walk: Use directional keys to teleport up to 3 times. Arrows will be shown for directions to which you can teleport. Automatically at Master Level.
- Dextrous Training: Passive buff. DEX +40, Base Avoidability +20%, Diligence Lv.20, Insight Lv.20
- Skill Swipe: “Steals” a skill of a nearby Explorer. Phantom analyzes and learns the skills; the skills are not removed from the Explorers on which this skill is used. Certain skills cannot be mimicked. Use the reticule that appears to select the Explorer to be analyzed. Automatically at Master Level.
- Loadout: Opens a menu that lets you manage skills stolen from Explorers. This menu lets you equip or throw away skills, or lets you use them with the Impeccable Memory skills. The max number of skills you can mimic per job level is 4 each for 1st and 2nd, 3 for 3rd, and 2 for 4th. Automatically at Master Level.
- Judgment Draw (obtained at 2nd job advancement):
- As you attack after having points in certain skills, you will gradually gain cards in your deck of 20. When the deck is full, this skill uses those cards to attack an enemy with Carte Blanc 5 times and to give you a random buff for 30 seconds. Automatically at Master Level.
- Possible buffs:
- Destin Card: Critical Rate +5%
- Malheur Card: Item Drop Rate +10%
- Judgment Draw (upgraded at 4th job advancement):
- As you attack after having points in certain skills, you will gradually gain cards in your deck of 40. When the deck is full, this skill uses those cards to attack an enemy with Carte Blanc 10 times and to give you a random buff for 30 seconds. Automatically at Master Level.
- Possible buffs:
- Destin Card: Critical Rate +10%
- Malheur Card: Item Drop Rate +20%
- Endurance Card: Abnormal Status Resistance and Elemental Resistance +20%
- Tuteur Card: DEF +100%
- Drain Card: 3% of the damage dealt is absorbed as HP
- Double Entendre: At Master Level: Damage: 160% per hit, Number of Attacks: 2, Max Enemies Hit: 4. Master Level: 20
- Impeccable Memory I: Lets you use 1st job skills stolen from Explorers. Passive effects from skills will not work. Equip stolen skills using Loadout. The skill level of the stolen skill will be the same level that Impeccable Memory I is at. Master Level: 20
- Phantom Swiftness: Lets you perform a double jump. After jumping, press the jump key again while in the air to use it. At Master Level: Passive effects: Movement Speed +35, Max Movement Speed +20, Jump +20. Active effect: Additional jump distance. Master Level: 15
- Feather Foot: Passive buff. At Master Level: Dodge chance +20%. Master Level: 10
- Calling Card: At Master Level: Damage: 170% per hit, Number of Attacks: 3, Max Enemies Hit: 3. Master Level: 20
- Impeccable Memory II: Lets you use 2nd job skills stolen from Explorers. Passive effects from skills will not work. Equip stolen skills using Loadout. The skill level of the stolen skill will be the same level that Impeccable Memory II is at. Master Level: 20
- Carte Mille: At Master Level: Damage: 320%, Max Enemies Hit: 10, knocks back enemies. Master Level: 20
- Carte Blanc: Passive buff. Each critical attack has a chance to produce a card that attacks a nearby enemy automatically. This card is added to your deck. At Master Level: Card appears at 60% chance, Damage: 160%. Master Level: 10
- Cane Mastery: At Master Level: Cane Mastery +50%, Accuracy +200. Master Level: 20
- Cane Booster: Increases the attack speed of canes by 2 levels. At Master Level: Duration: 240 sec. Master Level: 20. Required Skill: Lv.5 Cane Mastery
- Devil’s Luck: Passive buff. At Master Level: LUK +40. Master Level: 10
- Blason Fantome: At Master Level: Damage: 225% per hit, Number of Attacks: 4, Max Enemies Hit: 8. Master Level: 20
- Impeccable Memory III: Lets you use 3rd job skills stolen from Explorers. Passive effects from skills will not work. Equip stolen skills using Loadout. The skill level of the stolen skill will be the same level that Impeccable Memory III is at. Master Level: 20
- Final Feint: At Master Level: Passive Effect: Permanently increases LUK by . Active Effects: Upon death, you revive with % of your Max HP, makes you invincible for sec, Cooldown: sec. Master Level: 20
- Bad Luck Ward: At Master Level: Max HP +30%, Max MP +30%, Elemental Resistance +40%, Abnormal Status Resistance +40%, Duration: 240 sec. Master Level: 20
- Mist Mask: Passive buff. At Master Level: Additional dodge chance: 30%. Master Level: 20
- Lune: At Master Level: Attack +30, Accuracy +200, Duration: 240 sec. Master Level: 20
- Rapier Wit: Link this attack with Carte Mille to reduce post-attack downtime. At Master Level: Passive Effect: Increases Carte Mille’s damage by 50%. Active Effects: While moving, Damage: 270% per hit, Number of Attacks: 2, Max Enemies Hit: 10; After moving, attacks 3 times with 270% damage. Master Level: 20
- Piercing Vision: Passive buff. At Master Level: Critical rate +50%. Master Level: 20
- Mille Aiguilles: Hold the key you map the skill to in order to attack repeatedly. You can also move left and right while using this skill. At Master Level: Damage: 130% per hit, Number of Hits: 2, Max Enemies Hit: 6. Master Level: 30. Requires mastery books.
- Impeccable Memory IV: Lets you use 4th job skills stolen from Explorers. Passive effects from skills will not work. Equip stolen skills using Loadout. The skill level of the stolen skill will be the same level that Impeccable Memory IV is at. Master Level: 30. Requires mastery books.
- Carte Noir: Passive buff. Each critical attack has a chance to produce a card that attacks a nearby enemy automatically. This card is added to your deck. At Master Level: Card appears at 100% chance, Damage: 220%. Also increases your dodge chance by 20%. Master Level: 20. Requires mastery books.
- Penombre: Leap back and throw cards to attack. At Master Level: Passive effects: Rapier Wit damage +50%. Active effects: Damage: 600% per hit, Number of Attacks: 3, Max Enemies Hit: 10. Master Level: 20
- Aria Amour: At Master Level: Damage +30%, Enemy DEF Ignored: 30%, Duration: 240 sec. Master Level: 30. Requires mastery books.
- Tempest: Hold down the key you’ve mapped the skill to in order to create an expanding tornado of cards around you to attack enemies. At Master Level: Damage: 400%, Max Enemies Hit: 8, Cooldown: 12 sec. Master Level: 30. Requires mastery books.
- Cane Expert: Passive buff. At Master Level: Cane Mastery +70%, Weapon ATT +30, Minimum Critical Damage +15%. Master Level: 30. Requires mastery books. Required Skill: Lv.20 Cane Mastery
- Pouvoir Emprunte: “Steals” (copies) buffs from nearby monsters. If you steal more than one buff, the most powerful one will be applied. This skill only works if monsters have been buffed. At Master Level: Max Enemies: 12, Cooldown: 60 sec. Master Level: 20. Requires mastery books. Possible buffs you can obtain:
- Attack: Attack +40
- Damage Ignored: Damage Received =40%
- Damage Reflect: Reflects 600% of Damage Received
- Invincibility: Temporary Invincibility
- Maple Warrior: At Master Level: All Stats +15%, Duration: 900 sec. Master Level: 30. Requires mastery books.
- Hero’s Will: Removes some abnormal status effects. At Master Level: Cooldown: 360 sec. Master Level: 5. Requires quests.
Phantom Celebration Day
July 9 – July 14
- Box can be picked up: July 9 following the maintenance – July 13
- Box can be opened: July 14 by characters Lv.13 or above
- All accounts created before the maintenance on July 5 will receive a special reward! Click the book icon on the left side of your game window to open a menu from which you can retrieve a Renegades Gift Box.
- The box can only be obtained on July 9-13 and can be opened after 12:01 AM Pacific on Saturday, July 14, so make sure to come back to see what’s inside of the box after you pick it up.
- You can only get the box with one character on your account, so choose carefully!
- Once you retrieve your box, double-click it in the Use tab of your item inventory to open it.
- The gift box has a 100% chance to contain the following two items:
- Raven Persona (Hat)
- STR/DEX/INT/LUK +10, Max HP/MP +200, Weapon/Magic DEF +50, 10 upgrade slots, unhammered
- BONUS: When you are 3rd or 4th job as Phantom: DEX/LUK +5, Weapon ATT +5, MaxMP +30%
- Comes with hidden potential, which will alway be Epic tier when revealed.
- Tradeable with a Sharing Tag
- Renegades Coin x20
- The gift box will also contain one of the following three items at random:
- Unidentified Love Letter
- Open this letter and receive a random amount of fame from your secret admirer! Untradeable.
- Pendant of the Spirit (7 days)
- Equip it and earn bonus EXP from hunting mobs the longer you’re logged in. 1 hr: 10% extra, 2 hrs: 20% extra, 3+ hrs: 30% extra. Untradeable.
- Advanced Potential Scroll
- Use on a regular equip item to add a hidden potential. Can only be used on an equip that has no hidden or revealed potential. Success Rate: 90%. Untradeable.
Phantom Welcome Event: Free Character Slot Coupon
July 9 – August 8
- To celebrate Phantom’s flashy arrival, all accounts created before the maintenance on July 5 will receive a free Character Slot Expansion Coupon!
- Click the book icon on the left side of your game window to open a menu from which you can retrieve the coupon.
- You can only get the coupon with one character on your account, so choose carefully!
- Once you retrieve the coupon, double-click it in the Use tab of your item inventory to open it.
- You will be unable to use the coupon if you already have 15 character slots in the world where you retrieved it.
- If you don’t use it, the coupon expires 30 days after it is retrieved.
Renegades Coin Shop Update
NPC Conor has expanded his wares to include several items related to Phantom. These include:
- Lv.80 – 120 Canes
- A recipe for a Reverse cane
- Phantom’s Mystery Mastery Book
New World Events: Renegades
July 9 – July 31
Available to all characters in the new world being released, Renegades.
- Start NPC: Cassandra
- Blaze a trail in MapleStory’s newest world! Accept the quest from Cassandra, level up to 70 and talk to her again to receive a Renegades Bandana.
- Renegades Bandanna: REQ LV: 70, STR/DEX/INT/LUK +18, Weapon/Magic DEF +180, AVOID +25, Diligence +10; 10 updgrade slots, unhammered. Untradeable
Settlement Fund I
- Requirement: Lv.10 or above
- Start NPC: Teo (Ferdi for Resistance characters)
- Collect the items requested, and turn them in for a reward of 150,000 mesos.
Settlement Fund II
- Requirement: Lv.30 or above
- Start NPC: Teo (Ferdi for Resistance characters)
- The guidelines are the same, but the items are different and the rewards are greater! Complete this collection quest and receive 250,000 mesos!
Yaaaaaay! If you could all simply allow me to share some excitement; the thing that primarily motivates me to train Phantom is that IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT DAMAGE WITH HIM. Seriously, if you take a look at the percentages, it’s really not that big and allows some space for players to experiment and work hard for their Phantom. You all need to stop saying ‘OP’d’ …. really. Those KMS videos don’t count! — Take a look at their EQUIPMENT FIRST! Instead, the idea revolves heavily upon speed and mobility. Instead of exaggerated damage, he’s fast..which really makes up for it in the long run. Think about it.
Slow-er but really high damage OR Extremely fast but low damage…?
Being fast really helps if you think about it mathematically when you are bossing or training in the course of an hour as a standard. Additionally, Phantom’s skills are so sexy. <3
I WILL be reviewing Phantom little by little with some videos coming up; I am serious this time…! Haha. n_n
(P.S. New world Renegades, but Nexon just finished overcrowding the new aliance? … let’s add an empty world = Nexon logic…? With all due respect, that is quite ridiculous. o_O)
See ya later everyone!